Sunday, February 20, 2011

Lady Ganga


UPDATE 12/9/2013 - After dressing up as a pot fairy for Halloween, Gaga grabbed headlines back from Miley Cyrus by announcing she was "addicted" to marijuana after using it heavily for pain from an injury. With days, she'd backpedaled again, telling a talk show host she still loves to smoke pot, because it makes her feel like she's 17 again. 

Sure, she entered the Grammys in an egg. But the more groundbreaking way Lady Gaga sought to hatch herself as the new Madonna was her pre-Grammy interview on "60 Minutes," when she told Anderson Cooper: "I smoke a lot of pot when I write music. I'm not gonna sugarcoat it for '60 Minutes.' I drink a lot of whiskey and I smoke weed when I write." Keeping the mystery alive, she then added, "I don't do it a lot because it's not good for my voice."


Apparently the recording industry is gaga for Gaga, who scooped up three awards: Best Pop Vocal Album for "The Fame Monster," and Best Female Pop Vocal Performance and Best Short Form Music Video for "Bad Romance." Accepting an award in black body armor, she thanked fellow bad girl Whitney Houston: "I imagined she was singing…because I wasn't secure enough in myself to imagine I was a superstar. Whitney, I imagined you."

Other VIPs (Very Important Potheads) grabbing Grammys were Lewis Black for Best Comedy Album ("Stark Raving Black") and perennial potheads Paul McCartney and Neil Young for Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance and Best Rock Song (respectively).

Squeaky-clean Canadian singer Michael Bublé took the incongruously named Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album prize for "Crazy Love." Ex-model Tiffany Bromley outed Bublé as a jerk and a potsmoker last year, telling the tabloids, "He said he needed pot as a key part of his creativity. He said he could write his best songs with it." Also nominated in the category was "Love is the Answer" from VIP Barbra Streisand.

During the show, David Letterman noted that nominee Willie Nelson "provided the Grammy show snacks" and Seth Rogen joked, "I was backstage getting high with Miley Cyrus."

Madonna grabbed headlines away from her fellow 2008 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees by using her acceptance speech to reveal she took Ecstasy and smoked grass on her way to the top.

Salon.com is one who noticed the phenom of celebs "outing" themselves as pot smokers.

No comments: