Whoopi & Maya cannabis product line, designed for women.
Her launch was covered in Vanity Fair, Marie Claire, and MSNBC. Goldberg told Stephen Colbert that her aim isn't to get people high, but rather to relieve women's menstrual cramps while boosting their productivity.
Whoopi admitted to a pot-smoking past while defending Michael Phelps over his bong incident in 2009 on The View. In 2011, TMX unearthed a video of her saying she'd smoked "the last of my homegrown" before accepting her 1991 Oscar for Ghost. She penned a second Post column that argued for more lenient marijuana laws in New York, and last August she keynoted at the Southern California Cannabis Conference and Expo. She's still bringing sanity to the public discourse, saying on The View the day after the November election that the marijuana votes will help children and others get the cannabis they need for medicine.
Outie of the Year
Lucy Lawless (aka Xena the Warrior Princess)
Mother of the Year
Madonna stands by son Rocco Ritchie after reported arrest
Greatest Ganja Gaffe
Chelsea Clinton Says Marijuana Causes Death
Sherry Glaser, Taking the High Road: Comic Confessions from Behind the Redwood Curtain at WomenGrow.
Best Weed-Themed Movie
Mary Jane: A Musical Potumentary
Best Movie Moment
Blake Lively in Café Society: "Muggles made me feel sexy."
Best TV Moment
Moushumi singing Halsey's "New Americana" on The Voice.
Top TV Show or Episode
Chelsea Handler: "Chelsea
Mary + Jane
Best Online Video
College Humor, The Sinister Reason Weed is Illegal
Becca Williams, Women and Their Love Affair with Marijuana
Hillary Clinton at the Al Smith Dinner: "Donald wanted me drug tested before last night's debate. I'm so flattered Donald thought I used some kind of performance enhancer. Actually I did. It's called preparation."
Shelby Chong at the Warfield in SF on 4/23: "You know how marijuana gives you that munchees? that's why Tommy thinks I'm such a great cook."
Best Facebook Post
Peter Frampton on the DEA's Decision Not to Reschedule Marijuana
David Bienenstock, How to Smoke Pot Properly
Sharon Letts, Humboldt Stories
Chrissie Hynde, Reckless
Rita Coolidge, Delta Lady
Rebecca Traister, All the Single Ladies
Best News Report: Business
Donna Tam, Marketplace: Why Aren't More Women in the Pot Business?
Freedom Leaf, Women Leading in the Laboratory
Scheherazade Daneshkhu and Lindsay Whipp, Financial Times, US Drinks Industry Ponders Effects of Cannabis Legalization
CBS This Morning: The Rise in Marijuana Use Among Seniors
Vice, What It's Like to Be a Trim Bitch on an Illegal Weed Farm
Bloom Farms, The New Girls Night Out
Crissy Van Meter, Kindland, What Men Say About Women Who Smoke Weed
Best Article: Politics & History
Cannabis Now: Women Legalizers Are Finally in the Majority
Bustle: Seven Women in History You Didn't Know Were Fans of Cannabis
Best Opinion Piece
Nikki Narduzzi: Why This Republican Woman Supports Pot Legalization
Gretchen Burns Bergman: Mothers, Protect Your Families By Making Marijuana Legal In California
Tom Huth, New York Times: How Getting High Made Me a Better Caregiver
Freedom Leaf: An Open Letter to Hillary Clinton
Margaret Cho describes Bill Maher's pot after taking a toke on HBO's Real Time.
• Moms United to End the War on Drugs Protests at the United Nations
• Spark the Conversation: Proposition 64 Party Attracts Young Hollywood
• Central Florida NORML and Cannamoms Call Out Scare Tactics Around Marijuana Edibles and Halloween
• Sister Act-ivists: Cannabis-growing 'nuns' campaign to save their crop
• Marijuana Activists March with 51-Foot Joint During DNC
• Ophelia Chong: The Woman Changing the Face of Weed Through Stock Images
• Maternal Marijuana Use and Adverse Neonatal Outcomes
• New Study Suggests Cannabis Could Treat Cervical Cancer
• Cannabis Fights Cartilage Loss in Osteoarthritis
• Marijuana Use Not Associated with Liver Fibrosis in HIV/Hepatitis C Virus-connected Women
• Study: Women Who Smoke Pot are Smarter Than Those Who Don't
Best Human Justice Reporting
• Samantha Bee Full Frontal: Private Probation Companies Illegally Drug Test Women
• The Daily Beast: Student Drug Informant Found With a Bullet in His Head and Rocks in His Backpack
• The Influence: 1.6 Million Students Go to Schools That Employ Cops But No Counselors
• Overlooked: Women and Jails in an Era of Reform
• Women Are Landing in Local Jails At An Alarming Rate
• SSPD: Women and the War on Drugs
Most Fabulous Fashion Moment
Margot Robbie hosting SNL in Alexander Wang
Best Political Moment: International
Jamaican Foreign Minister Kamina Johnson-Smith tells UN to reschedule cannabis
Japan’s First Lady Touts Revival of Hemp Culture
Best Political Moment: National
• AG Loretta Lynch Admits Marijuana is Not a Gateway Drug
• Feds: Marijuana Not to Blame for IQ Drop in Teens
• CDC: Young People Say Marijuana is Becoming Less Available
• Elizabeth Warren Urges CDC to Look At Pot As Potential Fix to Prescription Painkiller Epidemic
Best Political Moment: State
• Pennsylvania hires activist-mom to advocate for medical marijuana patients
• Massachusetts Adopts FLCA's model language for parent-protective provisions
• Washington state's Rep. Suzan Delbene, sponsor of Smart Enforcement Act HR 3746, and the first woman to appear at a NORML legislative lobbying day
• Long Beach city councilwoman Jeannine Pearce, a Texas native who said she'd first tried marijuana when her mother, a medical user, gave it to her to help with her menstrual cramps at the State of Marijuana Conference on the Queen Mary in Long Beach
• Flo Matheson, a 77-year-old candidate for Congress in Tennessee, who refused to apologize when 180 marijuana plants were found at her home.
Honorable mentions: Senators Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), Barbara Boxer (D-CA), Patty Murray (D-WA) and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI); Reps. Barbara Lee (D-CA), Zoe Lofgren (D-CA), Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), Dina Titus (D-NV) and Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-DC) who signed a letter asking for President Obama to remove barriers to medical marijuana research.
Most Shameful Moments
• Authorities Raid 81-Year-Old's Garden to Seize One Marijuana Plant
• No Minority or Women Applicants Granted Cannabis Licenses in Maryland
• Missouri Woman Convicted of Possessing Pot for Her Dying Husband
• Cannabis Policy "Disjointed" and Ruthless
Keith Knight, The Knight Life