Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Kristen Bell: "Weed Rules"

UPDATE 10/20: Bell appears in a kooky new commercial for her CBD skincare line. One benefit not mentioned: a recent study found CBD is protective against UV rays. 

I guess there's a reason Kristen Bell played Mary Lane in "Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical" (2005).

The talented actress said on the podcast WTF with Mark Aaron“I like my vape pen quite a bit," adding that it doesn't bother her sober husband when she uses it occasionally. "Weed rules. Weed's my drug of choice, for sure.”

The 38-year-old mother continued, “I can’t do it around my kids, which is a phenomenal amount of hours each week. Once a week, if I’m exhausted and we’re about to sit down and watch 60 Minutes, why not?”


Bell studied opera singing and did musical theatre in her youth, and studied acting at NYU for two years until she was booked into a Broadway show. She won a Saturn Award for Best Actress on Television for her role in the teen TV series "Veronica Mars" (2004–07). From 2007 to 2012, she voiced the narrator in Gossip Girl and also voiced Princess Anna in the Disney film Frozen (2013).

After her 2008 breakout film role as the title character in Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Bell has appeared in a number of comedy films, including the Bad Moms movies. She cracked me up in Stuck in Love and as a recurring guest on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. Since 2016, she has starred on the NBC comedy series The Good Place.

Bell chewed on Canadian Nicorette-style mints at the outset of the Maron interview, and they got right into the drug conversation, talking about her sober mate Dax Shepard who thinks she'd enjoy Ecstasy (MDMA) at a party at which he'd play the sober guide. (She says she may have tried it once before at a Dave Matthews concert, but is "90% sure it was a tic tac.")

After speaking about her born-again-Christian mother, prejudice and exclusion, she said, "I've sort of invented my own True North of a religion. There's happiness and suffering, and which one gets you closer to happiness? In terms of our Ecstasy party, some would say, 'Drugs are bad' and to me that's very close-minded. I feel that's much more towards happiness than it is suffering, so what's the problem?"

In 2006 and again in 2013, Bell was selected "World's Sexiest Vegetarian" on PETA's yearly poll, and in 2011 she became the face of Neutrogena. Maybe they'll want to get into cannabis cosmetics, as Estée Lauder has.

Bell brings a bright comedic sensibility to her roles; I'm thinking cannabis helps her there (though in the interview she credits her father, a radio DJ, with her sense of humor).

UPDATE: CBS's "The Talk" tweeted, "Kristen Bell vapes weed around Dax Shepard, even though he's sober. If you were sober, would you expect your spouse to be?" Shepard replied, "That would be like a diabetic expecting their partner to never eat dessert. Get real!" When someone tweeted, "Except sugar isn't illegal," Shepard replied, "Either is weed in California."

Some are replying that Bell only vapes non-psychoactive CBD for medical purposes, based on her talking about using CBD on another podcast (end of the interview). She's also said she uses a CBD lotion for muscle soreness. However, she's certainly talking about recreational use with Maron.

Bell discussed the flap on ABC's "The View" where she said, "I smoke weed. I like it; it’s nice. I don’t, like, do it around my kids, but I also don’t think it’s a very dangerous thing.” Chatting with fellow vape-lover Whoopi Goldberg, Bell said, "I really believe in it; I never thought that there was anything wrong with it, but I also really believe in the healing properties of CBD," adding that she takes it daily for anxiety.

No comments: