2. "I'm the only sober one up here. Some things haven't changed in 30 years. You guys should have hooked me up." - Rosie Perez on her presenting reunion with White Men Can't Jump co-stars Woody Harrelson and Wesley Snipes, who joked about taking bong rips in the car on the way to the show.
3. "Documentaries make you feel smart, like you read a book or something, when all you really did was get high and watch Netflix."
- Chris Rock before handing the Best Documentary award to Questlove for Summer of Soul. But not before Will Smith thought his wife needed a Big Strong Man to defend her against one of Chris's jokes, and responded with violence and profanity (censored from the feed I watched) in the low point of the night. No wonder Smith cried through his acceptance speech; he could use more getting high, watching Netflix and chilling in his life. Apparently the ayahuasca he tried in 2021 didn't last, or wasn't properly integrated.
4. Tiffany Haddish fist-bumping Amy Schumer when she joked after the incident, "I've been getting out of that Spider-Man costume, did I miss anything?" Haddish, who voiced a stoner Kitty in the recent Freak Brothers cartoon with Harrelson, smoked a joint with Jada Pinkett Smith, along with Oscar co-host Regina Hall and Queen Latifah, in Girls Trip; she defended Will after the show.
- John Leguizamo clueing us in that the Oscar statue is modeled on Mexican-American actor Emilio Fernándezhttps://twitter.com/TheAcademy/status/1508261427823276034?s=20&t=28KDf4DBcoukE9lTnBXBwQ
- “I never thought that I would be here six days ago." - Rachel Zigler, who starred as Maria in West Side Story but wasn't invited to the ceremony until public outcry got her added as a presenter.
- Sebastian Yatra performing "Dos Oruguitas" by Lin-Manuel Miranda from Encanto, along with some beautiful dancing. (I liked this much better than the over-produced numbers in the show.)Betty White, Sally Kellerman, and many others, and Bill Murray talking about how producer/director Ivan Reitman (Animal House, Stripes, Ghostbusters) was given a sleeping pill and wrapped in a blanket by his parents to flee Czechoslovakia in a boat. "He married a pretty girl, had some children, and they make movies too." Catherine Reitman is the creator, executive producer, writer, and star of the Canadian series Workin' Moms.
- A woman (Jane Campion) winning Best Director for second year in a row. Jessica Chastain calling for us to be inspired by Tammy Faye's compassion. And more jazz hands (applause in ASL) for CODA as best picture.
BEST POST-OSCAR JOKE
Jimmy Kimmel: Denzel Washington told Will Smith, "When you're at your highest moment, be careful; that's when the devil comes for you." And Woody Harrelson was like, "NOOOO!"