Monday, February 27, 2023

No, Woody Harrelson Didn't Say He Gave Up Smoking Pot on SNL

In spite of some misreporting going around, Very Important Pothead Woody Harrelson didn't say he'd given up marijuana while hosting Saturday Night Live this weekend. 

It would be a strange thing to have happened, since Harrelson has just opened up a cannabis dispensary and consumption lounge in West Hollywood. He famously did give up pot for a time in 2017, but Bill Maher and Willie Nelson nudged him back to starting again.


What he said on SNL is this, while telling a story about what he did after he hosted the show three years earlier: 

I went walking the greatest part of this city, Central Park, leaning against a tree, and started to read the craziest script. Full disclosure, I smoked a joint first. 

The reason I like herb more than alcohol is because it makes me feel good, no hangover, and I never wake up covered in blood. But regardless, I have decided to quit smoking pot altogether, and I’m sticking with it...until after the show.

So, he didn't quit for long. He then kind of disses the herb, at least its overindulgence:

I was complaining about how I start smoking around noon and get progressively dumber as the day unfolds…I was hoping the wifey poo might say, “Oh no that’s not true.” Instead she says, “At least you’re aware of it. Think of all the dumb people who don’t know they’re dumb, you’re ahead of them.” 

He continued: 

But on top of the herb, I’m a wee bit of a drinker (in an Irish accent). But in a personal triumph, last year, I had seven months with no alcohol…..and five glorious months. 

Anyway, I was telling you about that script. So I blaze a fatty, which, you know, I got in LA at my dispensary The Woods. 

He then did a bit about his manager Jeremy being the one to carry the pot from CA to NY. He continued with his main story: 

Three years ago, Central Park, Sunday morning, the Lord’s day. Trying to resist the temptation to puff too early in the day. Of course, I succumb…I’m many different things: anarchist, Marxist, ethical hedonist, nondiscriminatory empath, a deconstructionist, a Texan. But back to the tree in Central Park and that script. Put yourselves in my place…Lay your head against the palm tree, fire up a hooter from Jeremy, and start reading. 

So the movie goes like this: The biggest drug cartels in the world get together and buy up all the media and all the politicians, and force all the people in the world to stay locked in their homes, and people can only come out if they take the cartel’s drugs and keep taking them over and over. I threw the script away. I mean, who was going to believe that crazy idea? Being forced to do drugs? I do that voluntarily all day long. 

People were quick to criticize Harrelson, who's been a COVID vax skeptic, for telling the story, which also sounds to me like it's about soma in Huxley's Brave New World. 

You can see the video for yourselves here.

The next sketch had Woody as a prisoner in an orange jumpsuit. The final one had him gaining 400 pounds for a role that didn’t happen. I couldn’t watch either; mainly I only watch the cold open and Weekend Update on SNL these days. There was a Bill Walton imitator on the news, wearing a tie dye and saying, “And I was just backstage in Woody Harrelson’s dressing room, the second half of the show is going to be bananas.” 

SNL was a lot funnier when the cast and writers were smoking pot.

No comments: